I know that I said on Instagram that I would post the “recipe” for these next week, but I just couldn’t wait. They are SO easy and SO delicious that I knew you would want the recipe for this weekend’s entertaining. Plus, they look so elegant with very little effort.
The first thing that is great about these caprese stacks is that you can make as many or as few as you need. Just a night in? Great, use one tomato. Having a dinner party? Cut up 4-5. I would say that you need about 8oz of fresh mozzerella for every 2-3 tomatoes depending on their size. I cut up three tomatoes and used almost the whole 8oz, but I used my smaller garden tomatoes.
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 8oz of fresh mozzarella
- fresh basil
- balsamic vinaigrette
- olive oil
- coarse sea salt
- You want a nice thick balsamic for this that is almost syrupy. If you don’t have thick balsamic, you can take 1/4 cup and simmer it until it reduces by about half. I think I boiled mine for 5-10 minutes. Then let it cool.
- Cut the ends off of you tomatoes. Slice each tomato about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick. Arrange the tomatoes on your serving platter.
- Slice the mozzarella so that you have one slice for every tomato slice. Layer the mozzarella on top of your tomatoes.
- Place the fresh basil leaves on top of the mozzarella. If I have leaves that are large enough, I only use one leaf, but as you can see I had smaller leaves so I used multiple leaves for each stack.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar and olive oil onto the stacks.
- Sprinkle each stack with some coarse sea salt and serve immediately.